Simple machines could be the very first technology man created. First, I introduced the six simple machines using:
- Simple Machines book (Amazon US) (Book Depository, FREE DELIVERY WORLD WIDE)
- FREE Simple Machines Definition Cards
- Montessori Print Shop Simple Machine Printable
Once we’re done discussing and understanding the concepts, I made Mavi sort out the picture cards. These are picture cards of different modern technologies that are examples of simple machines. You can purchase the cards from Montessori Print Shop.
I’m quite surprised he did pretty well! Some of which were confusing but he managed to match them accordingly.
We also discussed the tasks these simple machines do such as lifting heavy weights, moving heavy objects, tightening or loosening screws, cutting, securing objects etc.
After the sorting, we identified tools in the house that are simple machines. Sorry I have no photos here as I was busy walking around with him and discussing the concept. So here are the objects in our house that are simple machines:
- The curtain roller blinds (pulley)
- knife (wedge)
- door knob (wheel and axle)
- Scissor (lever)
- lids (screw)
- inclined plane (parking space)
- Learning Resources Simple Machines
- Learning Resources STEM Simple Machines Activity Set
- Early Simple Machines for Kindergarten STEM by LEGO Education DUPLO
- KNEX Simple Machines
Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Google Plus, Instagram or Twitter for updates! More learning materials at Pinay Homeschooler Shop.
Pin this for later!