Oh here we are again, my son’s favourite topic: rocks! Last year we worked on identifying the types of rocks: igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic. This year, I added minerals to our studies, to advance our studies in the Rock Cycle.
This years’ objectives for Rocky Cycle study:
- Review the classification of rocks
- Identify the characteristics of rocks
- Identify the characteristics of minerals
- Difference between rocks and minerals
- Products of rocks and minerals
- Igneous rock collection
- Metamorphic rock collection
- Sedimentary rock collection (I don’t have this)
- Mineral collection. I purchased the mineral collection from Learning Resources when it was on sale in Amazon last year.
- Digital microscope (optional)
- Rock and Fossil Hunter Book [aff.link] A really good book that provides a table of rocks and minerals, with lots of experiments and activities.
This is how we worked on each rock. I created learning cards for each collection, the links are at the end of this post.
Colours of minerals. Trying to draw and identify the colours of each minerals.
FREE printable files:
Other interesting rock activities can be found here:https://www.pinterest.com/jarminator/rock-unit-study/